Tuesday, March 18, 2008

thoughts


The last time I left
the Barrio
I went forthwith
to the Carolinas.
Throttle the weight
of my throat
117th to Mt. Pilgrim Church Road -- Direct.
twelve hours through the night,
so much faster
than the 4,5,6,J,M,Z or L
the poetries of the city
melting under the empty howl
of an engine in the night.
"I could never live in the City,"
she says,
calling two weeks later
with disdain for her south,
longing for New York
and its forgiving altars.
A,C,E, to PATH into Jersey City,
And I know exactly how she felt.



And a quote from my reading at lunch today, The Hacker Manifesto:

The slogan of the hacker class is not the workers of the world united, but the workings of the world united.
...where education teaches what one may produce with an abstraction, the knowledge most useful for the hacker class is of how abstractions are themselves produced.

Campy as it is, from a theoretical standpoint its thus far quite interesting, at least when paired with pizza and root beer. Marxism taking into account the interesting properties of information-as-commodity (lack of natural scarcity, for one), something I've been toying with a bit lately.

No comments: