Friday, March 14, 2008

the LFWML

So today is one of those beautiful almost-spring days that reminds you what spring is about and gives you time to get ready. Spring is about re-birth. In a lot of ways. For someone with as many constant tinkering projects as myself, spring thus also means fixing all that crap you broke over the winter. Volvo needs a massive tuneup, and its getting to be the kind of weather for rolling up one's sleeves. This was the thought I had today as I passed a street corner where there was a van with it's hood up. Then I looked over a few parking spaces and saw three beautiful old motorcycles. And I thought to myself, "yeah... oh man, that would be great. little motorbike, ultra fuel efficient, take to the open road." Its everything I want in my life right now: freedom, tinkering, speed and unnecessary danger. And for the fourth or so time now i just thought, "I could sell the volvo. Sell the volvo and buy an old Honda bike." (I am in love with BMW R-Sports, but I'm being realistic.) Then I recalled the LFWML -- the Loose Federation of Women in My Life. The LFWML has been pretty against the motorcycle as a concept for a long time. The head of this campaign is my mother who shattered both kneecaps in a motorcycle accident in her youth. My parents never expressed any of the usual parent ground rules--you know, speeches about sex, drugs, alcohol, fiscal responsibility, civics, etc. Rather, my mother just always said, "Never ride a motorcycle." So of course the first time I had a girlfriend whose father had a pair of dirt bikes I insisted I be taught. There are a few members of the LFWML who are OK with the motorcycle idea. But there's definitely a supermajority against it. Was out with B a few days back and pointed to an R-Sport on the street. "See that?" I said. "It doesn't matter," she replied, "because you're never getting one."
But when I finally do, I'm sure everyone will relax. It will be a machine belonging to me. It'll spend most of its time in pieces.

1 comment:

gyra said...

you have no idea how much no.
-lam of the lfwml

but spring. i drove barefoot today with the window down. yeahhh.