Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bikes and Books

Ha! I decided to put L's front wheel to good use and I bolted it on the the Raleigh after a truing. Picked the bike up to put it back on the wall, and the balance point is radically different. The old wheels are just so damn heavy. What a solid wheelset. (I'll give 'em back if she wants 'em. Just no use in their collecting dust.)

---

So I've been reading some damn good books of late, and I have some solid recommendations.

+ Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities might go on for about ten too many pages, but the sheer beauty of the book far outweighs that. One of the most beautiful things I've read in a long time. Perfect, too, for that wanderlust / city v. country thing that's been going on in me for a while now.

+The Raw Shark Texts were phenomenal in every way. A book as much about love as it is about linguistics, I've described it as the Phantom Tollbooth for adults, and I'll stand by that.

+Neuromancer by William Gibson. It's been a long time since I last read sci-fi, and this was a wonderful sort of welcome home. All the pulp of a film noir, plus bragging rights to most of the concepts behind the Matrix. A quick and extremely enjoyable read.

Also of note, I read the title story out of George Saunders Civil War Land in Bad Decline and enjoyed it a lot. Hilarious, even if I felt it's ending to be a bit abrupt. And to feed my need for the southern states, I just started Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I decided the assigned 500 page naturalist volume of misery was a waste of vacation time. Picked up Swann's Way, Proust.

It's like Virginia Woolf but from a child, not a woman's, perspective. Not that you would know ;D. Pages of how memories work. Chapters of thought. Not that I've finished a chapter yet.

Last vacation I burnt myself out reading Lolita's introduction. Barely even got to the text. I wish I could abandon great literature for just a fun read. Maybe I'll pick up Neuromancer...