Thursday, March 27, 2008

Geeks in Motion

So in line with my new habit of exercise and nutrition (did you know that creatine improves mental function as well as muscle structure and is sorely lacking in most vegetarians?) I have, of course, been keeping the machine well-tuned. Last night I purchased an old Brooks saddle, a beautiful vintage piece that, while heavy, is far more comfortable than my last racing saddle and is the piece that would have originally come with the bike. Last night I also purchased two modern lightweight rims which will hopefully get laced to two older Dura-Ace (Shimano's top of the line) hubs. They will be, in short, among the lightest damn wheels I can make out of non-carbon components. My modest goal at the moment is to tackle the central park loop in 20 minutes, and both the bike and myself are rising to the task.

NOTE to any visiting geeks: I'm looking for a cheap and effective way to build some sort of wheel fairing for the front wheel, for aero considerations. And by cheap I mean made out of tape. Any ideas? Anyone?

No comments: