Friday, February 8, 2008

A few assorted thoughts

I'm not sure I've ever gotten better at writing in my lifetime thus far. I have, however, definitely gotten better at titles.

------

I have these dreams sometimes, where my body is falling apart in a very localized and decay-oriented way. There's always a similar sickly background feeling in all of these dreams, and in retrospect they all occur during dark times in my awake-life. Usually they happen very rarely. I can recall maybe four total in my life. Two of them have happened since L left me. They involve either my fingers or my teeth. Years ago I had one where a perfectly rectangular hole had rotted its way mid-way into my finger. I had one a week ago where I cut my hand on an ice-skate after convincing myself it wasn't sharp. The slash on my hand healed except for the corner of my pinky, which was a hemi-spherical void. Bugs were trying to get into it. Yesterday was a very good day. I played guitar with the band after work, my best guitar now out of the shop and in good repair, and after practice I had dinner with Jay where we talked about how great it would be to move to the south. After dinner I spent hours on the phone with Leah, then went to bed quite happy. Then, a dream that a chip in my front tooth (I have a few. I live dangerously) was growing worse to the touch, my tooth falling apart in my mouth. That dream then gave way to a really vivid dream about L, vacationing with her new partner and ignoring me, me seeing her but her acting like nothing was wrong. It ended with me racing to confront her in a little and underpowered Mercedes Benz 280D, which was running far too slow. I remember looking at the Tach as the little car tried to deliver me (ah the dreams of geeks). Then I woke up.

------

Put a new front brake on my bike today. A beautiful Campagnolo Athena. The rear, which I also have, won't fit on my frame, and this concerns me. A good friend and I are going to start race-training soon. He's putting together a series of races on Randal's Island. They'll involve obstacles, and I will be the slowest rider by far. I am looking forward to it a great deal.

------

I have another thought, about location and living and the city, but I will write it later. It my deserve a full post.

No comments: