Thursday, February 14, 2008

Coffee Break

I may hate the day, but I love love. And I was thinking, en route to get a cup of coffee during a bout of writers block, that there might be a pretty cool project in my head...

A few years ago I was on the streets in Soho, and for no real reason, wrote the phrase "I just called to say I love you." over and over again on a piece of paper, until the paper was filled, then started again at the top. This went through several repetitions, and i rather liked the look of the finished product.

This came to mind to me again as I was getting my coffee, and I thought, what if I have an audio project, where I ask people to think about someone that they truly love or have loved or think they love, and say the phrase "I just wanted to say 'I love you'" several times, as though they are saying it directly to that person's face. Call the person to mind, then say it. I would collect a bunch of these, then overlap them in layers so that at any given point there were at least four voices, saying, all in their different timbres, accents and sincerities, "I just wanted to say I love you."

How's about it, anyone want to volunteer?

----

In other news, handed in my first freelance piece last night and just received confirmation about payment happening soon, and, en route to the coffee shop, discovered that I have more money in my checking account than I had previously thought. So.

More at ease than previously, me.

1 comment:

De.Corday said...

To encourage the rest of you,
John has volunteered.


Also, i will probably be installing this at an art show at his abode.