Thursday, November 20, 2008

The heat is on, but its not hot. Damnit it's cold.

Anyway, had a show last night at the Charleston in Williamsburg. I liked it because the raw brick basement in which we played had no stage whatsoever, and it brought me back to the days of playing at school, loud, raw, and having a bad-ass time. Despite our technical difficulties (the amps are finally feeling all the pressure of this constant gigging) several people said the sound was even better than our Red Star show a few weeks ago (which had astounding energy and turn-out). We started out by drawing the crowd with a Song we haven't finished writing yet, one of my new ones called "Raleigh". I set up the guitar for my playing style the other night, getting the action and intonation just right (making harmonics a piece of cake) as well as raising the G-string to make my bluesy bends easier. All in all, it's paying off in spades. Our regular bassist is on hiatus while he deals with some higher-education stuff, so we have a friend sitting in in his place. He's been really good so far, surprisingly good actually, but its very disconcerting not to have the bass played by someone who I've shared the stage with for years... I find myself less able to rely on cues from the bass... I'm sure that'll improve with time.

Also of note regarding the Charleston, free pizza with your beer! Fantastic!

***

I have a meeting tonight with a few cats about starting a lit journal of some sort. If it goes well, this could keep my brain and heart satiated until Grad school, and then I'd only have to worry about my wallet (but lets not talk about that one).

***

Wow this is cold. I'm going to go bundle up.

No comments: