Wednesday, August 20, 2008

And all I want to do is ride bikes with you And stay up late and watch cartoons

So Kay and I took a much needed break from the city this weekend and set out in the ever-dying volvo (odometer has stopped working... ?) to her parents' house in Virginia.

En route, I was examining the beany babies in the claw-game at a late-night I-95 rest stop in Delaware, when I heard "what the hell are you doing here?" Turning around, I saw Ruby who was on his way to his parents house in the great state of South Carolina. So, each suspecting that the other had been lying in wait at the Delaware House until someone they knew came along, we spent quarters on all the cheesy amusements before getting back on the road. On the road, Ruby decided it'd be a fun game to bombard the Volvo with pickles, until quickly discovering that the pickup in which he was riding shotgun had no, well, pickup. Anyway, it was great to have picked up (see what I did there? eh?) an additional traveling partner, someone to stay in cell phone contact with and spot speed traps, until we parted ways around Richmond.

Meeting Kay's parents was, for all the nervousness that surrounded it, great fun. They're smart, witty, and enjoyed showing baby pictures. They make fantastic pasta dishes. I ate better than I have all year.

And tucked away inside the garage was Kay's Batavus, a Dutch-made mid-range racing bike. Which, of course, meant that we took several trips to the near-by beach, wearing towels like capes and aviator scarves, me on the Raleigh singing "Tony's Theme" at the top of my lungs ("I am Tony, super bicycle Tony, I'm racing
Spitfire turn and pop a wheelie, burn and evil chasing ... To-ny! To-ny!") with Kay atop the Batavus looking like a flying ace in Jackie-O sunglasses.

And the Volvo made it back with both the Raleigh and the Batavus in tow, in time for next weekend's upstate adventures.

3 comments:

gyra said...

no more odometer = the volvo is now immortal.

De.Corday said...

You'd think that, but no.

mattio said...

if you listen to it right, in tony's theme, they shout

NA-TO! NA-TO! NA-TO!