Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Goodbye, Blue Monday!

Yesterday (Monday) was a fantastic day. As one might imagine with such a locale as 14-A, growing up here instills a deep-seated desire to leave. That, combined with a genetic predisposition to stubbornness, matched with a North Jersey vocabulary, explains (albeit only in tangents and outlines) why my extended family has, over the years, done a lot of extending, and not a whole lot of keeping in touch. One of my uncles on this side of the family (a truly wonderful guy) is my editor at the paper. Yesterday, I joined him and his family (my family) for dinner.

My cousin had just come home from her first semester away at college. When I last really spent time with her, we were both in very different places... I was undergoing some or another existential crisis, working through a thesis or looking for a job, and she was applying to college and all the stress and bull that that always entails. We were never really in the same place such that we could relate as equals.

So then, over the dinner table last night, she begins discussing Greek, Latin and Linguistics. Being obsessed with one and oblivious of the other two, naturally, I ask about the Greek and Latin.
Suddenly I'm conversing with this person who I saw come home from the hospital, and she's telling me fascinating things about the structure of possessives in Classical Greek.
After dinner we walked around lower Manhattan as all the shops closed up, getting to know each other again.
We discussed New York, we cursed like sailors, we talked politics, and much about the stupidity of blogs. She was saying things that I would say, and vice versa. We were relating to each other effortlessly, and the whole time I just kept thinking, "huh. This must be family."

No comments: