Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Gloria


Merry immediate post-Christmas, y'all.

There was a set of large letters, about as tall as me, that they used to put out in front of the World Trade Center this time of year... they were big and silver and they spelled out "peace on earth", and that always meant a lot to me. So I like to share that every Christmas time. If Christmas is a thing you do, I hope it treated you well. If it's not, I hope you had a pleasant day regardless.

In other news, over the course of the next week I'm going to be moving five minutes up the road to an apartment with some friends. I'll have a house-re-heating party or something. It'll be rad.

And for those of you concerned that I haven't made a music geek post in several 24-hour periods, fear not:

I got some beautiful pickups for Christmas, a pair of Seymour Duncan SH-55 Seth Lover humbuckers. These things are exact replicas of the famous PAF pickups that were the first humbucking pickup (a design meant to get rid of the 60-cycle hum inherent in single-coil guitars like my beloved fender stratocaster, that ultimately had a very distinct and recognizable tone of its own. If you've heard a BB King record, you've heard a PAF.) These SH-55s have very melodic Alnico 2 magnets, wooden spacers between the coils, cloth wiring, the whole shebang.
Yesterday, I put them in my beloved but problematic Ibanez AS-50 (a slightly smaller bodied replica of a Gibson 335). The AS-50 had been running some Gibson '57 Classic pickups, which are very good pickups but at 9.04k and 9.23k impedence, with Alnico 5 magnets, they'd be right at home in a good, strong, bluesy Les Paul, not a delicate archtop. I ran her through the practice amp last night, and she sounds good. Today I'm grabbing my main rig from our practice space in Brooklyn, then maybe I'll post some sound clips.

Sorry for the unmitigated geeking out.

1 comment:

Genenemnlc said...

By way of this, you will have a smooth flow of your task for the day and if some thing goes wrong, you know what to do with your equipment and you do not have to call anybody to fix it for you. They will be operating complex machinery and any small, wrong movement can endanger their own life or the lives of their co-workers. Following that, you must report all matters relating to the tools that you simply use these kinds of since the harm on the forklift, devices misuse, as well as hazards and injury a result of these kinds of problems. Make sure that the company in question has forklifts from major brands. And when it come to driving forklift training is very essential from the users side.