Friday, August 28, 2009

When I was in school, my sophomore year, in a small dorm room in a labyrinthine dorm, I had a very unexpected visitor. My door was wide open, it was parents' weekend and a friend and hallmate walked by with her family. I invited them in, and she introduced me to her mother and step father, both of whom were tremendously friendly. Her stepfather wedged himself into the small room last, shook my hand happily, and said, "Hi, I'm Ted."

With the passing of Ted Kennedy, I find my thoughts split, constantly empathizing with my friend and the loss of her stepdad, who i was allowed to glimpse for a split second as a jovial person in my minuscule abode, and mourning as a part of a country where too few leaders stand up even a quarter as much for liberty and equality. You will be missed, Mr. Kennedy, by a country that continues to need people like you.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I like reading the things you write. Well said, my friend.