Friday, September 5, 2008

Booking

Had a long-awaited, much needed beer (or two) with John tonight, who is winding down (or cranking up?) the editing process on his second novel, largely at the behest of the "bludgeoning" the manuscript received from his agent. We talked at length about a great many things, including the notion that once a work of art is complete, it no longer belongs to the artist but rather, each interpretation belongs wholly to each interpreter.

John noted that something cosmic must be at work as he just wrote his first poem as I am beginning my first novel. (We were two beers in) I feel dubious about my first foray into what I'll call long-form-fiction, but so far I've had an absolute blast researching the book. Its all the fun of research with none of the downsides. My plan is to have the first draft of the first chapter done by the end of the month. We'll see. Maybe these here internets will keep me honest.

No comments: