Sunday, March 15, 2009

Kay's been sick for the past few days, so I've been taking care of her. So yesterday, when she decided to sleep in for most of the day, I came home and decided to just wipe the slate of my day clean, to just sit home and relax, read a little bit, play around with spare parts, write a little bit.
In putting away a few bicycle parts, I just aimlessly started playing with spokes and hubs until I realized that I had the right parts to make a wheel. So on a whim I laced up a quick front wheel, 18 spokes, radial, with the spokes in pairs... Its not terribly durable, I'd imagine, but a test-flight revealed it to be very quick and pretty stable. Which is awesome, considering its constructed entirely out of parts I found in the garbage or salvaged off of broken wheels. Also, there are now only 42 spokes on my racing bicycle, not one more than is needed. Its nice to know every spoke is where it is on purpose.
After that I settled in to do some Armchair/Shotgun business... Submissions have started coming in, and the reading process is proving to be worth the stress of setting this thing up. Between that and the fact that a friend of mine who is a phenomenal writer paid me a compliment on some of my work, I'm beginning to relax a little, creatively, which is nice for idea-flow.
God bless lazy Saturdays.

No comments: