Monday, February 23, 2009

A scattershot update. It's been a crazy set of weeks. Apologies for not posting the VGt how-to. I'll seriously get to that ASAP. Let's break it down:

Job. The job situation has gotten worse as well as better... while I am no longer writing under the same (truly terrible) editor, she got me pulled off of the one beat I really enjoy, the WTC reconstruction beat. It's been time to switch gears for a while, and I think its time to start looking for some disposable employment... a thing I can do for a while to make some cash, then leave without marring my resume too much. Especially if Grad School is in my future? yeah.

Bike. Speaking of disposable, I have this thing against expensive racing wheels... I think they're dumb. And given that I find wheelbuilding to be a truly relaxing enterprise, I've been working around the concept of disposable race-wheels. Generally, they're half-spoked front wheels with a good tubular tire made from scavenged wheel-parts. I can underbuild them to be light as I weigh in at 140lbs soaking wet, and with a good tire they handle quite well. As for the disposable part? I finally cracked my so-built front wheel, sprinting down Broadway with traffic, drafting a toyota, when I hit a large metal plate in the road. I limped it home, but the rim is cracked. Time to build new wheels.

Projects. Armchair / Shotgun is really happening. The website will be more than a splash in a few days, and submissions will be due April 2.

Life. Jay might get a dream job at Slate... Everyone cross or uncross your fingers for him as your luck-tradition sees fit. Few people deserve it as much.

No comments: