Friday, August 31, 2007

The Rumor About the True Things

So I'm going to try something. I blog often, on other blogs, under other names. But those are intended for friends, people I know and who know me. This is for others. People who know me will immediately know who this is. But this isn't written for them.

So allow this to be our introduction. In this site I'll generally not use real names, but I will discuss true things. insofar as they exist. I dont know.

I am a student of philosophy and theories of government, returned to my native urban New Jersey to find a place rapidly gentrifying, changing, growing--whatever you want to call it. I am a guitar player in a band trying to "make it" (whatever the hell that means) in the same landscape. I am trying to make art after four years of academy, trying to feel for an ever elusive home... also trying to keep my car running. Trying to live and work and create in a way that each is copacetic to the other two.

A note about the title: "the rumor about the true things" is a phrase employed by the German-Jewish thinker Walter Benjamin in a letter to a friend regarding the genius of Franz Kafka. It is a product of the modern decay of wisdom--one if its few remainders. "A sort of theological whispered intelligence dealing with matters discredited and obsolete."

I like that.

No comments: